Sunday, January 31, 2010

Synecdoche, New York


A few months ago, I was spending a lot of time researching movement paintings. I didn't know if such things existed, but when I googled the term, one of Alex Kanevsky's paintings showed up.
I had never seen his work, but was intensely drawn to a lot of it (above).
I did some more research on him, and found out that some of his paintings were used in a very odd film called "Synecdoche New York".

For any of you that liked "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Being John Malcovich" and any Peter Greenaway film, this film is for you. Bizarrely visual and somewhat twisted in plot, there is symbolism throughout the whole two hours. I had not heard much about this movie when it had come out..... just like most off-beat films. Besides quirks like Hoffman's mistress' house being in continuous flames or the Kanevsky miniatures in Berlin, this film has a lot of meaning. I think I will probably have to watch it at least five times to even begin to unwrap some of its subtleties.
However... beware to those who don't like surrealist cinema or dialogue-laden scripts.... Synecdoche New York is not for the faint of heart, and certainly a departure from any main-steam film you might see in theaters today.
Not to be cynical:)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mia
    I was looking at your site and checking out your blog. You are doing wonderful work.
    I loved Synecdoche New York. I thought it was the best movie of the year, though not many people saw this film. It was interesting commentary on the act of creating art. There was more truth in the tiny paintings in the film than in the full scale theatrical venture of recreating NY in a ware house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Richard! Great hearing from you! It was a wonderful film that got no press..... like so many fabulous films.
    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete