Sunday, June 13, 2010

cha cha cha changes

I'm sitting in the home of my mom in Atlanta this morning. It's her birthday. She has had quite a year of changes, just like all the rest of my family members. Whether it be career shifts, love interests, or body changes, it has all happened very quickly to each one of us.

I thought I would share two really wonderful sources that I found this week. Both have to do with growing and changing.

The first is a book I am reading. It is called "Start Where You Are" by Pema Chodron. Pema Chodron is a female Buddhist monk who is part of one of the only Buddhist monasteries in North America. She is great because she is a bit of a go-between for western and eastern thinking. What I like so much about her book is that it seems to really stress how much wasted time we spend on grabbing on to the past and future, and how useless of an act this is. We are always trying to change, trying to be better, trying to be somewhere we are not, rather than looking at all of the messy and beautiful stuff we are made of today. I won't get into it too much, but I HIGHLY recommend this wonderful author to anyhone who wants to get a little quieter with themselves and have some help on the way.

The other source is an old high school friend of mine, Danny. Through Facebook (it's always Facebook, it seems) we reconnected after a little while of silence. He has a WONDERFUL website. Basically, he quit his job, and is out to prove, for the next 4-5 years, that anyone can pick up a new interest or love and do it full-time. Danny was a professional photographer, and quit his job in April to go on a quest to put in 10,000 hours in becoming a professional golfer. Why? Because he has never had much experience in playing golf, and wants to see if at his age (30), anyone can, through deliberate practice, become professional at something they love. I fully support this idea.. Please check out his website www.thedanplan.com. .. He explains it way better than I can.
Ok, more later! Thanks for reading.... now I gotta go celebrate with La Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment